I’m an addict.
I don’t use to be and there’s no rehabilitation for this kind of addiction. I used to say TV was such a waste of time until I went on vacation this year. I was caught unaware. I didn’t expect to love it.
Sitting with my family in our living room, we often spend hours chit chatting. More often during dinner time, there was a monogamous use of the television. It was the same channel everyday and the same line-up of TV series. At first, I use to go up to my room to avoid the drama happening downstairs when these series starts to air. Anyway, I got bored and decided to join the family. I was curious to know why they usually hurry home just to catch these TV series. I told them they can just watch it online anyway. They were fanatics. I was curious to know why.
My curiosity was my undoing now that I’m hooked. I guess here are some reasons why we become addicted to television:
1. People are bored and want to be entertained. TV provides a variety of programs. If you are tired with your computer, the next easiest option is to watch TV.
2. People are curious. Like me, I really was curious why even my 7-year old son can tell me in full detail what happened in the last episode. Also, we are always very eager to know what happens next.
3. People are naturally emotional. TV series are always successful in stirring one’s emotions- love, hate, sorrow, fear, happiness.
You can add more to my list but there’s only one thing we all hate in television- COMMERCIALS!
Life is a lot more complicated now than it was few years ago. There are more things to be stressed about now than before. You don’t agree then read on.
Things that people say nowadays when they panic:
1. Where’s the @$! remote?!
2. Oh my God, my phone is low batt!
3. No electricity? Noooo!
4. No WiFi? Noooo!
5. No (mobile) signal? Oh nooo!
6. I can’t wash! The washing machine is broken!
7. How do I reheat my food now without the microwave?!
8. My TV is not flat!!
9. My mobile doesn’t have WiFi!
10. I don’t have android!
11. Where’s my tablet?! I need to go to the toilet!
12. Download speed at 128 kbps! Nooo!
13. No Internet connection?! Nooo!
14. I don’t have Apple!
15. No Facebook? Oh nooo!
16. No Twitter? Nooo!
17. No Skype? oh nooo!
Things that people think they can’t live without:
- Smart phones (plural not singular)
- Tablet PC
- Apple products
- Social media-Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Internet and WiFi connection
- Big flat TV
- Android and iOS games and apps
- Messenger apps- Skype, WeChat, etc.
- Microwave and washing machine
- Remote controls
- Wireless mouse and keyboard
- Xbox and PSP
- Printer and scanner
What people do unconsciously and consciously:
- Use their mobile phone as a computer mouse.
- Wake up and checks their email, Facebook, Twitter, etc. even before going out of their beds.
- Touch the screen of their TV monitor to swipe it.
- Swipe the screen of an old Nokia model.
- Bring their tablet PC to the toilet when they p??p.
- Watch a rerun of a TV series after watching it only yesterday.
- Type long SMS on a free-to-call wifi app.
- Insert a micro SD in a USB port.
Technology, supposedly, should make our lives easier and not complicated. Take a time out and turn off your mobile, your TV, your tablet and go hiking, swimming, or mountain hiking.
Take a techno detox now!
Posted in Life
- Tagged android, Apple, Facebook, Internet, mobile, panic, Skype, stress, technology, TV, Twitter